Ironworks Hotel is a luxury boutique hotel located on the banks of the Rock River in historic downtown Beloit, Wisconsin, and is inspired by America’s industrial heritage. The hotel is home to one of the area’s best restaurants, Merrill & Houston’s Steak Joint, and is within walking distance of many area attractions and nightlife. The Ironworks Hotel is a place for people to work hard, play hard and come together.
Its beginnings are traced to 1858, 22 years after the founding of Beloit, when Orson E. Merrill came to Beloit from Vermont and started a foundry at 637 Third Street. Within a year, he took in a partner, George Houston, and the firm became known as the Merrill & Houston Ironworks. Its principal product was a water wheel developed by George Houston, but the firm could also supply horseshoe nails, iron and steel castings, saws, augurs, spokes, and a variety of iron products. Ownership of the company changed several times in the next 20 years.
In July 1885, four employees of Merrill & Houston associated themselves to form a new corporation, and Beloit Iron Works was in business. On January 1, 1962, the name “Iron Works” no longer seemed to describe the company’s activities and further diversification was planned. The company officially became “Beloit Corporation.”